Needle-Free Injection System: Creating a Virtually Pain-Free Experience
- The J-Tip is a Needle-Free syringe that uses jet injection to propel lidocaine subcutaneously prior to routine needle procedure such as IV starts and blood draws WITHOUT the use of a needle.
- Once the lidocaine enters the tissue it only takes 1-2 minutes for the anesthetic effect to take place and will last 15-20 minutes.
Why is Needless Injection Necessary?
- Needle Phobia “affects between 20%-23% of the adult population.”¹
- “Venipuncture and intravenous (IV) cannula insertions are the two common sources of pain in hospitalized children and health care today.”²
- Using a needle-free syringe to administer medication to patients as a pre-number for needle insertion can help address the two bullets above.
When can Needless Injection be Used?
When using the J-Tip, there are multiple applications for use with lidocaine:
- IV Cannulation
- Blood Draws
- Lumbar Puncture
- PICC Insertions
- Minor Surgical procedures
J-Tips are also used Hospital wide in departments such as:
- Vascular Access
When Should the J-Tip Needless Injector NOT be Used?
There are contraindications and precautions when using the J-Tip:
- Contraindications include:
- If the patient is allergic to lidocaine.
- If the patient is undergoing chemotherapy treatment.
- Precautions include:
- If the patient is taking any blood thinner or has a blood disorder the J-Tip is not recommended due to the amount of pressure coming from the device and the patients’ ability to clot.
- If the patient has a portacath. We do not recommend using the J-Tip over a portacath due to the amount of pressure that comes from the J-Tip, as we would not want the port to be compromised in anyway.
*View Instructions for Use before using the J-Tip device.3
How can the J-Tip Needle-Free Injector benefit a hospital?
- It works quickly and effectively to help improve staffs’ work flow.
- It is virtually pain free to patients as it is a way to offer anesthetic prior to needle procedures.
- Multiple studies have shown the J-Tips’ effectiveness when compared to other products.
- The J-Tip Needle-Free Injector can be a tool used for pain management initiatives by offering patients more options for those wanting anesthesia before needle procedures.
To learn more about the J-Tip Needle-Free syringe visit our website at https://jtip.com/ or call a representative at (949)-768-1147 to schedule a live online webinar to demonstrate how the J-Tip works!
- Emanuelson, Jerry, n.d. “The Needle Phobia Page,” Retrieved 05/22/18 from: http://www.needlephobia.com/
- Katende, Godfrey and Mugabi, Benedicto (Sept. 16, 2015) “Comforting strategies and perceived barriers to pediatric pain management during IV line insertion procedure in Uganda’s national referral hospital: A descriptive study,” Retrieved 05/22/18 from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4572629/
- J-Tip Needle-Free Injection System: Instructions for Use: https://jtip.com